Image Map

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Pioneer Day

One of the best parts of my 4th grade social studies core is the study of those who settled this area. After months of learning about their struggles and challenges and how their life was drastically different than ours. The end of the year was fast approaching and I realized I hadn't planned Pioneer Day yet. My teammates hadn't done it before so I gladly took over. I am happy to report that the students had a great time. And I (with a pinched nerve and all) was rather pleased with the way it turned out. 

Students learned to sew on a button...

Students had to sort seeds and guess to see if they could tell what food each seed would grow...

Students made marshmallow taffy...(This is the really sticky stage - it gets less sticky, shiny and oh so yummy)

Students made butter that they then tested on a roll from their lunch...

Stick Pull...

Students participated in a nail pounding contest...

Students made scrap fabric dolls...

Hoops and Graces anyone...(I love this game...and so did they)

There was even a milk the cow station, using rubber gloves and water but I didn't get any pictures of that one. At the end of the day we had a stick pull finals, a pound off, and a milk off with the fastest in the 4th grade. At the end of the day I was exhausted. It had been hours of stress and worry getting everything ready and set up. In the end it was completely worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment