Image Map

Monday, June 16, 2014

Close Reading 4th Grade Video

I am always looking for positive examples of a close reading. I am not an expert by any means but I feel this one fits the bill. This video is about 12 minutes long. It is worth the watch.



Here are a few things I like about this lesson/teacher...
1. I like how she states her objective and how her students will complete the objective.
2. I like how she models her thinking when she becomes stuck on the word "stabilizing".
3. I like her use of vocabulary. Notice she doesn't use simple words but uses real "grown-up" words like: consensus, annotate, sequential order, etc.
4. I like how she is constantly asking her students to find in the text the evidence that supports their thinking.
5. I like how she doesn't agree or disagree aloud with her students. She makes her students talk it out and come to a consensus. 
6. I like all the chances student have to share their thinking, whether one on one, in a table or even with a partner.

What do you do that you really love when you are doing a close read?
What did you like about this teacher?

No comments:

Post a Comment